Saturday, August 7, 2010

Windows to the Soul

The Immigrant´s Son
Danilo actually comes from Italian descent. No matter where I display this painting, it always is popular with the girls. And so it should be. I hope it expresses the vitality of Youth. Eyes are truly the windows of the soul and Danilo gazes to the future with expectation and confidence. I painted him with quick, vigorous brush strokes which emphasizes his spontaneous personality. The angle I chose shows his strong character.

When an artist paints a portrait, she should put the person´s soul into it. She must capture something about that person, not just what she sees.

A true artist should be able to paint still lifes, landscapes and portraits equally well.  Several of my respected teachers told me this very early in my career and I have always worked towards that goal. I´m a people-person. My personal favorite genre is portrait painting. I enjoy the challenge of going further than a simple resemblance.

This painting is presently in the exhibit "Marilyn Diggs Brazil" until Aug. 15th.
For more information visit "Featured Events" at http://www.mdiggsart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment