Thursday, August 5, 2010

Indian Tribes in the Amazon

Amazon Youth

Today Brazil has 460,000 Indians, not counting the almost 70 isolated tribes. Most live in the Amazon region where 40% is Indian land. Nature supplies red, black and white paint for body decoration. Bright feathers from toucans, parrots and macaws become headdresses, arm bands, earrings and belt adornments. animal teeth and seeds transform into necklaces.




Inside a display case next to this painting, presently being exhibited at the Chisholm Trail Heritage Center, is the feather headdress, a plate made of bright turquoise butterfly wings and a wooden Indian doll.



I´ve been to the Amazon three times. This is a photo I shot at a very small community on the banks of the Amazon River. A couple of years ago I was approached about teaching English to three Xingu chieftains ( they wanted to learn it). While I debated about spending a year in the area, they disappeared from the reservation, into the forest. I was glad I wasn´t with them at the time!


For more info on painting: "Featured Events" at http://www.mdiggsart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment