Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer daisies warm the heart.

Summer Bouquet
In the summer morning,
Through the fields ye shine,
Joyfully adorning
Earth with grace divine
And pour, from sunny hearts, fresh gladness into mine.

-  from "Daisies" by Rose Terry Cooke ( 1827-1892)

As I was walking back from the open vegetable and fruit market we have on Friday mornings in my neighborhood in São Paulo, I spied these perky daisies being sold by the corner flower vendor. They were begging to be painted. I remembered the antique clock a friend of mine had given me years ago. (It wasn´t working and it would have cost her too much to repair, so before junking it, she asked me if I wanted it!!!) YES.

I´d bought the blue and white plate ( in background) and vase in Chinatown, San Francisco, when I was living there and they would make the perfect dark accents the painting needed. The ribbon leads the viewer´s eye into the composition and lends a lyrical mood to the  still life.

For more information about this painting, visit "Featured Events" at http://www.mdiggsart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment