Sunday, April 10, 2011

Capturing the Spirit

South American Aristocrat
Faces intrigue me. They always have. Considered by many to be the most difficult challenge for an artist, I welcome its calling.

Brazil has a tremendous mixture of races. Everywhere I turn, I see a subject that I'd love to paint. My portraits include people from all walks of life - from a street sweeper to aristocrats.
In some cases, I´ll see beyond their present situation. A noble look in a doorman´s face might turn him into a Morrocan prince.

Depending upon the subject, I´ll use different techniques to paint it. Sometimes a carefree brush stroke and unfinished background is just what I need to portray my subject.

But sometimes, as in this case, I want a more traditional treatment to show the grandeur and the austerity of landed gentry. In preparation to paint this way, for one year I studied and copied the Old  and New Masters  - Velázquez, Rembrandt, Holbein, Sargeant, among others. That involves, among other things, first painting this woman in only shades of grey! Yes, underneath the color, she is entirely grey!

The daughter of a wealthy rancher, Cristina's blood runs blue. Her Spanish ancestry is obvious. A sublime misture of intelligence, determination and of course -sensuality, for which Latino women are so famous.

For more information about this painting, get in touch with me at mdiggs@mdiggs.com
More paintings on: wwwdiggsart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment