Sunday, August 21, 2011

Tea Time

My painting, KETTLES, just goes to show you how you can use anything for a composition. Originally, I was going to use only one, but as I was deciding which one, I just thought, "Why not all of them?"  This paintings is actually the main one in a composition of smaller paintings that go around it.  I did variations of the theme. The smallest frame is 3" x 3" and has only the little silver lid as the subject.

Kettles
The challenge here is to paint  porcelain, enamel, iron, ceramic, copper and aluminum.

Each kettle tells a story. The blue and white Chinese kettle was bought in Chinatown, San Francisco in the 1970s. The white enameled once belonged to my mother. If only it could talk!...Mom, who is now 90 yrs. old, remembers as a young girl, going fishing with her father and sipping hot coffee poured from it. The dark, heavy, Brazilian cast-iron kettle is as "old as the hills,"  while the artsy ceramic black and tourquoise one was a gift. I've never used the copper kettle; its for decoration. Quite the opposite of the small aluminum one that holds only 2 cups of water and I use constantly.

For more paintings, visit www. mdiggsart.com
Most of the paintings on my blog are for sale.
mdiggs@mdiggs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment